Monday, April 11, 2016

Three Weeks Left = Crying

I'm down to 23 days left on my adventures in Peru.  A lot of the girls have been really sad because they are homesick.  I on the other hand have cried a few times already because I don't want to leave.  I love my family very very much and I miss them, but I don't want this part of my life to end because I know I will never get this opportunity ever again.  This has truly been a life-changing experience.  I have grown so much as an individual and learned so much about life and this beautiful culture that I wish I could take back with me.  I never expected to be impacted so greatly by studying abroad, and I know that I will be leaving a piece of my heart in Peru.

This week since my host parents are in Spain, it was up to Samuel and I to come up with things to eat.  Somehow we have managed so far!  On Thursday Emi and I made fried rice and it was such a joy to cook for ourselves.  I invited all of the girls over to swim and drink chilcanos, so we spent the entire day on my roof.  We ordered pizza for dinner and I ate half of a pizza and half of an order of cheese sticks.  I am still disgusted with myself for eating that amount of food.  We played guitar for a while and sang.  That night I went with three of the girls to Gio's basketball game and I got to watch him play finally.  It was a really great day.

I spent the weekend with Gio and we worked on homework, watched youtube videos (I have some really funny ones to show you guys when I get back), and did some cooking.  His friend Rafito came over to work on a paper with him and we had a good time making fun of each other and singing while we worked.  We made crepes like 4 times throughout the weekend and put manjar blanco inside of them, which is carmel condensed milk.  We also ordered more pizza....

Saturday night I went out with Gio to one of his friend's house and I got to meet a bunch of his friends.  It was really fun and I loved getting to meet so many more people.  They all enjoyed talking to me about the U.S., and I had to explain a million times that Nebraska is no where near L.A.  That is their reference point in the U.S. I guess, as well as Miami.  Some of the guys cooked a bunch of different kinds of meat and I felt like I was in Nebraska again with all of the meat piled on the grill.  Everyone was so nice and I hope to meet up with one of the girls I met again before I leave.  It was a wonderful night and one that I will always remember.

Sunday was the elections so I watched a lot of political news with Gio.  In Peru everyone is required to vote or else they get fined.  I'm not sure if I like that law very much.  Anyway, I am more educated about Peruvian presidential candidates than I am about the U.S. presidential candidates now (which is probably bad).

On Wednesday we leave for the Amazon for 4 days!!!  I am very excited for this trip, and I will tell you all about it in my blog next week.

Sending love and waiting for the hugs I expect to receive when I get back!




No comments:

Post a Comment