Monday, April 4, 2016

One Month Left In My Home Away From Home

This week I have been working on getting my life in order for when I get back to the U.S.  I set up my class schedule, emailed my advisors, and I am working on writing an application to get my summer research project approved by UNK.  It is starting to become a reality that I actually have to come back to my normal life in Kearney.  It's a bittersweet thought.  On one hand I have created amazing relationships here and have fallen in love with Peruvian food, music, dance, and the people here.  I'm going to miss everyone so much when I leave and will miss a lot of things about this culture.  On the other hand I am missing my family and friends back home, and I know that I will be so happy to see them again (especially baby Jade).

There were so many people on
this bus that the doors closed
on my backpack because
I couldn't even squeeze on to find
a place to stand.  It
was quite an experience.
I attended a Peruvian class this week about health promotions at another UPC campus.  It was very very intimidating to walk into a class of all Peruvian students and try to hold a conversation with them by myself.  They were all really nice and tried to include me in the group conversation as much as possible.  I was surprised by how much of the lecture I understood, and it was fun to see what their classes are like.  I will be attending that class again this week as well.

I went swimming with Danielle in my pool and we went to the sushi place next to campus for the 2nd time this week.  Out of us Nebraska girls, there have been at least 2 of us at that restaurant every day for the past week.  The servers have started waving at us when we pass by and think it is really funny that we eat there so much.  But I just love the sushi in Peru and eat it as often as possible!   We also hung out in Miraflores one afternoon and ate some Pizza Hut pizza again.  It was so amazing.

Gio and I in La Molina
I spent a lot of time with Gio this weekend and on Saturday night we went to La Molina (another district close to Surco) to have a get-together with our friends from Punta Hermosa.  The house was amazingly beautiful and fancy and was right on a lake.  It was good to see our friends again and I of course made Gio dance with me for most of the night.  We spent Sunday relaxing and working on homework and went to the malecón to watch the sun set over the ocean.  Gio does Mauy Thai fighting so he taught me some of the punches and kicks, which was really fun.  He thinks I would be a terrible fighter since I didn’t take the lesson very seriously, but I think that those moves might come in handy some day.  We also watched some debates between the presidential candidates since the elections are on Sunday.  I have never watched political things in English, but for some reason it was interesting to listen to them speak in Spanish.  I actually understood a lot of it and was interested in how these candidates thought that they could solve the major problems of Peru.  Gio also had his parents both look at my eyes a million times to see what color they are.  They all say they are gray and green but I've always been told I have blue eyes.  It is quite the topic of conversation in Peru since everyone has brown eyes.  My eyes are by far my most valued quality here. 

I have purchased my plane ticket to the Amazon and we reserved our tours for our trip!  We leave in two weekends!!  I am super excited to get to hold a monkey and see all of the wildlife there.  It is time to start taking my malaria pills and prepare myself to sweat more than I have ever sweat in my life.

For the next two weeks my parents will be in Finland (I think) and Spain visiting their daughter.  So it is up to Samuel and I to cook and take care of each other.  I am excited to see if we are good roommates J. It will be another week filled with classes, friends, sushi, and hopefully dancing this weekend!

Sorry for the lack of pictures this week.  Peru feels like home so I don't take many pictures anymore.

I love you all and will see you in one short month!!


No comments:

Post a Comment